Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

somebody pull a rabbit

What was that about rabbit holes and disappearing tophats? Put that crook'd cane away, I'm staying right here on center stage for a half a minute, see?

Three months ago I landed on American soil. I've been on homeland land almost as long as I was off said soil. I haven't longed for India, even after today's convection-oven-hot temperatures (climbing into the 90s). 'Specially not after that. I am a wilting flower whose stems rub together most sweatily and in an unwelcome way when walking. Ick.

But, before I shower off the grit and grime, I thought I'd give y'all a limp but enthusiastic hello: I've planted myself firmly in the Friendly Neighborhood, just three blocks north of the house I lived in last summer......literally....on the same street, even! I found a little mother-in-law flat, two rooms of loveliness to unpack for a spell and nestle in.

Paul's Bicycle came through for me and put together a TREK for under two hundred bucks, so I have a reliable set of wheels, and a joy ride. I'm officially self-employed, as a gardener and as an artist. I'll garden (haul, mow, weed, prune, plant, dig, harvest) until my back says Enough. I just sold a boatload of my stencil postcards to Shawn Mediaclast over at his joint, Museum of Unfine Art. He's invited me to do a show, early next year. So how about that! Yah! Hoo!

I ate the first two cherry tomatoes from our garden last night, after eating two big handfulls of blueberries from the bush out front, and an apple off the tree in back. Am I in my element, or what?

My landlady is pretty much the coolest one so far........I'm still going through a healthy existential crisis, but at least I'm in Eugene and I have Eckardt Tolle (I'm half-serious, folks)......listening to lotsa music of my yesteryouth (the 90s, not the 80s)........and generally healthy except for the alien-looking bloom of tinea versicolor on my back and neck, a gift from India. It's a fungus, everyone has it, yes you do too, only most times it's not visible. In my case, it is now. I am seriously working with all my vanity issues. I have now entered My Forties, folks.

Here I am in my studio, and I bid you fair eve.

2 comments:

eroica said...

hooray for you! i have been trying to cyberstalk you but you were doing a good job of hiding...
that's great about your upcoming show, yippee! maybe i'll come over for the opening (i wish!).
big loves to ya
xx

Victoria Koldewyn said...

awww........I wish you could be here, but it would be in your summer and our winter, for one thing (brrrr...and wet...and grey...). I've been offline mostly the last few months, it's summer and all, so not much time interacting online :)
right back atcha with the big loofs
xx!