Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2006

when it is enough

ooh oooh! Tomorrow is Illustration Friday!

Yesterday on my bike ride home (when it started to rain), I saw this old gent walking down the sidewalk with a nylon windbreaker on, the hood up, and over that a big Don Ho straw hat crammed on top. It was great. We hailed each other. Wish I'd had my camera.

Yesterday before the bike ride, I messed about with crayons. After trying several different methods, I finally figured out how to heat up the paper (without burning it - my trusty cast iron skillet on low low heat, ha haaa!) and and doodle this way:



It's a coaster from Outback Restaurant. One of the LMAO guys said he had the best dinner on his vacation, I'm guessing this was the place. He brought back several coasters and distributed them among us and we're all swapping them with each other. Oh you gotta love it. I mean really - and I just realized how the whole thing reminds me of going to Pizza Hut as a kid and coloring with crayons on the paper placemats. I always wanted pepperoni pizza, and then picked the pepperoni off. My mom was real cool about that, she kept ordering pepperoni pizza and let me do my thing.

Had this cool dream slice last night. I was given glowing coals, or magma, or rocks, or maybe coal. They were from Christine in Florida, who is a pal of mine, we met through a CD swap at Swap-Bot. I was enchanted. It was SO cool. So I tried illustrating it for my dream journal:



I was sure wondering how to get those hunks of seemingly inert rock-like objects to glow...that's why the dream was so cool, other than Christine being there to gift me with magic rocks..they were so alive! I was bummed when they went out, the light crept across the surface, but the light came from the core. But I had seen them living and that was enough.

Sure are a lot of life and death themes going on lately, not surprising...

Time to oh my god! it's 11:30?! Time to get to bed, I've got an early to work day tomorrow.

7 comments:

Tonje said...

Victoria,
Your coal picture is truly amazing!! I love it! Keep up the good work.

Issi said...

Hi Victoria :o) You have lovely watercolor, I love it. Keep in touch, Issi

Anonymous said...

magic rocks! i wonder where i got them...

Anonymous said...

magic rocks! i wonder where i got them...

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm gonna die..I did THE SAME THING with my pizza!! We wnet to the old dark gloomy gothic looking pizza place when I was little and they had a nural of a pie man in the entry way (Looked like the purple pie man from strawberry shortcake! Only erm..red white and green like the Italian flag ;)

Anyhow, childhood memory moment there...funny how we did the same thing..my mom didn't care either she ordered whatever I wanted LOL Did you have an all aoround cool mom? I'm lovin your sideshow cards, and I love you for making me that bookmark, it was AWESOME!!

ellipsisigh said...

Hey Victoria,
I am really intrigued by this burning coals image. What are its dimensions/size?

Adamandia

Victoria Koldewyn said...

Annie - that is TOO FUNNY. I think as far as moms go, mine was as weird and psychotic as anyone's but also, on the whole, cooler too :-) Hee...I'm glad you liked the goodies too!!

Admandia - good to see you! I forget I can post stuff like that...it's on a 6"x4" piece of watercolor paper, your basic Strathmore cold press 140 lb. The watercolors are some that a friend gave me, they come in little tubes and I can't read the brand name but they are Made In Japan :-)