Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2007

ridin' the coaster on rollers

What a week!

My friend Deborah at work had to put her dog Diva down yesterday. She was going blind, and diabetic, lots of problems. I just learned that another online friend's dog died this afternoon. So I'm having myself a bit of a tear over here. Interestingly, I did light a candle at dinner, which I haven't done for a long time, and that was before I learned about little Kerry's passing today. Oh the furry little people beings of the planet! We should all be so unconditionally cool, huh?

Last night I climbed the fig tree outside, right there - over there, practically within arm's reach of me on my back deck. I really love fresh figs. And, I love fig trees. The bark is smooth, the limbs are strong and supple. This tree is fairly well-established, with a few limbs I can climb up in and then sway to and fro while plucking fruit from the high-up places. The leafs are broad and shapely, like oxbows.

I ate my way through the garden,





and saw John rounding the corner stuffing his face with fresh food too - it was great! I haven't seen him in three weeks....he was called away suddenly to the east coast (death of a friend's mom). Was really good to see him - he's a warm person.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. For the first time in history, my computer completely froze up. Just now. (glad that Blogger now autosaves) It's the year for things to go belly-up I guess. I better take it in to the shop, before the warranty expires......which isn't until next year, but dammit!

Well so yesterday afternoon I dropped this off on Olive St. for Free Art Friday:

P.I. Grubb

It's P.I.Grubb, yeh. Did I even post last week's? Nope. Here:

grubber and friend

The third installment!

I'm realizing that as I think over the last week, most of my good memories involve food. There is so much abundance here, and growing the food is a very humbling experience. Dinner with Kendra and we're both squealing because it's all so good (I make everything from scratch too......I am SO into baked/refried beans!). Dinner with Jacque and Marsha - twice - fresh gardenstuffs. Making fresh pesto. And actually tonight my whole place smells like garlic. Earlier I was rather choked up with it. I think it's too green - it's really pungent. I put it in olive oil to soak and maybe mellow.

But really. If everyone really really REALLY GOT how interconnected we all are, and how dependent we as humans are on our ecosystems to sustain us.....I really really REALLY don't think we'd go around mucking the place up like we do.

Okay, so everything in the chain of life seems to have a purpose. Or, to contribute something to the greater good. Symbiotic relationships abound.

What do humans contribute? To the healthy functioning of any kind of physical system?

Seems like all we do is take take take.

And I'm out in the garden tonight, crooning to all the living things that will grow and feed us and I'm thinking......you all just continue to give, and give, and give. The broccoli is ready. And when I cut the head from the stalk, more broccoli florets will grow. And when I harvest the kale, more growth is encouraged. Same with just about everything in the garden, really.

It's really amazing.

Last night I:



And this morning, after a particularly disturbing dream involving a grub, did this before work:

grub lip

And then I thought of a line from a Nirvana song, which goes, "I feel a comfort in feeling sad," and needed to draw something else. So I did and it goes like this:



I watched about twenty minutes of Gus Van Sant's movie tribute to Kurt Cobain called Last Days (I think). I couldn't chew my way through the whole flick, but I was very very impressed by one particular scene where the guy sinks slowly

slowly

slowly

to the ground.

You either have to be very strong and lithe to do that, or......I'm not sure, really drugged up and boneless. It was pretty fascinating. And, we all are fascinated with Kurt Cobain anyway, are we not?

You're not? Oh well then, never mind.

I'm going to look at a very pretty boy who knows he is very pretty, and mark the pictures I want to draw from. He's left me some very appreciative, honest comments at flickr about my watercolors. Which I am enjoying doing immensely.

Especially since I've started using my new ZIG Milleniums. And some Faber-Castels are on the way.

yip yip!

Tomorrow I plan on attending a composting workshop, it's free, and being held at one of the six City-sponsored community gardens. It's a three-hour tour, so to speak, of how to compost. They give you free compost tea! There's a couple of drawings, for free veggie or flower basket! For sixty bucks a year you can rent a 20 x 30 foot plot in a garden (if you're lucky enough to find a vacant spot, that is). They provide the water, wheelbarrows, some shovels....you need to haul in compost and mulch though. Isn't that COOL? I'm helping Deborah and Frank out in their garden.

They are such cool people. Next week, we're gonna mulch/compost and plant some arugula. Here, I fluffed up one of the beds I dug and sifted a couple weeks ago and Kit planted greens for the winter, and some arugula too. I put in some overwintering cabbage and broccoli...last weekend? Weekend before?

Time is going all meldy.

Time is marching on.

Time for me to brush my teefs and go to bed.

No comments: