Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2006

seven days seven wonders?

...at least! Before I launch into yet another project, thought I'd at least slap a few words on a page and post a few pics of what I've been up to this week. I haven't yet painted the clay faces I made, that's next...need to mail them off by the 14th, for a swap.

So the most astounding thing I saw (in the consumer arena, up-close and personal): when I was at Target last week buying loo roll (doesn't that sound so much more fun than 'toilet paper'? Thanks Tonje!), the gal ahead of me in line bought a paper bag. Oh okay, it was a paper bag with rather fancy twine handles, but not super fancy. She paid a dollar fifty for a paper bag. Do you know how many cute bags, sturdy bags, useful bags, I haul out of the garbage every single week??? Wow. I just couldn't believe that she was paying for something I find for free all the time, and such an unassuming little bag, really.

I paid over ten dollars for a bag of tomatoes last week during my grocery run. They lasted me all week and I eat 'em every day and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than eating out but DAMN! At $2.99/lb and almost four pounds of toms, well...there you go.

But DAMN!

I also bought a banana for a snack the other day. It was a purty big 'naner, granted, but I paid .86 for it. That's nearly one dollar. Which is, calorically and nutritionally speaking, a better investment than a candy bar...BUT DAMN! I just read something about dried banana peels making really good paper. I should be saving those peels...

Have been having just a blast and three quarters carving this week. First some lomography, though, un-retouched photo I took by candlelight:



I notice that on PCs the images are alarmingly dark, whereas on my Mac it looks much lighter and brighter. Sorry folks if it's just too muddy but it looks cool from where I'm sitting.

And some carvings:



Size: about 2"x3"

Was thinking about something to send for a No More War themed mail art call, and for some reason I thought of Faust (hmmm...for some reason....) and faust means fist and it all came together beautifully. I'll be sending that out to multiple recipients, no doubt. I made a little book with the front cover bearing this image as well. I quite like it; making little books has always been a passion actually. I made lots of them as a kid, and illustrated them...



Size: about 2.5"x3", just right for an ATC

This directly inspired by a frame in a Tool video..Schism, I think. I listened to a lot of Tool this week. Their music and videos are Art all over the damn place. Some of their music is more screaming and fragmented energy, not really my cup of tea, but there are so many amazing songs that really cut to the chase and I SO dig their music - it is very focused, keen, relevant, capsizing, not-pretty.




Size: about 3x5"

And here is an image that popped into my head yesterday. I knew I really wanted to just draw something, but I wasn't finding an image that had any pizzazz. So, I told myself to just chill, something always percolates and then surfaces. Finally it did, and on my lunch hour I went to the third floor in the library and sat at a big wood table, took out my drawing tools and did a sketch. That was one of the best lunch hours I've ever experienced. I haven't done much art in public spaces, it was a good time. I was feeling antsy, I hadn't drawn anything or done hands-on art for almost TWO FREAKING DAYS!! 'Scuse me. Then I came home, spent an enjoyable evening cooking and cleaning and organizing the art space, and hunkered down to carve for a good long while. Then I did a mass printing this morning.

HUZZAH! I'm ready for more. I am working on an Ophelia piece, or pieces, next.

No comments: